Want to post?

Email photo's and/or story text to remusworldtour@gmail.com or post yourself.

Scroll down to the bottom for help

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Yeah, that's me getting doused by a pitcher at a local watering hole in Manhattan. Shocking that Tad is smiling and that he had some set up with a camera! To be fair, it was payback for something that I had pulled off on Tad earlier in the week (albeit, I can't remember it, nor did I catch it on camera.) It's been a week and I still can't grasp it. I really appreciate Korte setting this up and I've been trying to think of the story that sums up Tad or provide a nugget that someone doesn't know. What I've came to realize is that everyone had Tad. You didn't get a watered down version of Tad, a professional Tad, a funny Tad, a competitive Tad, a best friend Tad, a I just met you Tad... you always got him full strength. I've shared his passing with my friends who maybe met him at a wedding or an outing, years ago, they remember him. My family, who only met Tad a few times remember him. Tad, you left your mark on so many people in such a short time on earth, words fail to convey your impact.


I met Tad shortly after I moved in to Haymaker Hall, 7th Floor at KSU. Tad was "the football player" at the end of the hall. We rarely saw him at first. He was gone well before any of us got up and would only pass our rooms late at night (fast walking of course) on his way back to the last room on the right, where he would have his desk lamp on and some big book cracked open. He slowed the walk as the weeks wore on, enough to give us a smile, see what was going on. We were all in awe of Tad.

As the second sememster came around, football had slowed for Tad, Mark Miller was headed over to a dinner of some sorts at the DU House, asked if I'd like to come. He invited Tad as well. I laugh that I was their "Mississippi" to make those guys look good. Mark reminded me he was sporting his "Ronaldo Haircut" and needed support. In hindsight, we probably shouldn't have brought Tad, between his smile, his grades, that personality and his athletic ability he made our chances of getting in the house slim at best! However, it all worked out and we began our 3 years at the fraternity, years we will never forget.

I was fortunate to go to a number of concerts with Tad. As mentioned, a truly memorable experience. One in particular happened after college. Pearl Jam came to Sandstone, Tad had great tickets, Chad Jacobs and I didn't. Of course, that didn't matter. We were shortly front row and center, Eddie less than 10 feet away. The heavens opened up and dropped a good 6 inches of rain during the show. By the end we were standing on our chairs, still under water, as the water flooded towards the stage. Pearl Jam never slowed down. Tad sang every word. I sang "banana, banana, banana" a lot that night.

It was sad that Wednesday was my first trip to Caldwell, a town that I had heard so much about. Joe Bush, Mark Miller, Jason Brandau and I made the trip down from KC. There and back, we never had to turn the radio on. Tad stories and his impact on us filled the 8 hours on the road. It was good to talk about them, we need to keep these memories alive.

On a side note, when we did get to town, we parked a block down from the church. Mark and I had made the trip in shorts and needed to change into our suits. Of course it's sunny out, cars driving by and we are across the street from a school and a church. We joked that it probably wasn't a good idea to change right there, but we did. As we are almost done, we catch a gal in the corner of our eye coming across the street, thoughts are "great, we've been in town 5 minutes and we are going to get yelled at." Instead, this unknown lady says "I'm sorry boys, I should have came over sooner. I live just two doors down there and you all are welcome to go in my house and change clothes. House is unlocked, yellow lab might lick on you, but she's friendly." She goes on to say "my husband helped to coach Tad in football, and any friends of Tad, we know are good people. You are welcome to come over to our house any time, doors always open."
Tad you will be missed, but not forgotton. Love you man, Brian




Tad, at some Slab event, taking it all in.










Tad was green before green was cool










Tad, Buster and Jacobs, a great ski trip to New Mexico.













Greg, Brandon and Tad







Tad's trading card he gave out his Freshman Year





















Good looking group of guys








Yeah, 7 days before Tad's 21st, hence the reason the picture is outside of the bar...





Fiesta Bowl Bound

No comments:

Post a Comment