Want to post?

Email photo's and/or story text to remusworldtour@gmail.com or post yourself.

Scroll down to the bottom for help

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Linda Cassell “Bitten by the Tetons”

Tad, you were the first new leader to arrive in the Tetons in 2006. As soon as you had parked the van & trailer you took off for a run. Twenty minutes later you came back bleeding. You had been bitten by a dog on the bike path. “How random!” we both said. You wouldn’t let me help you clean the wound. We laughed about your ‘canine welcome’ to the Tetons for the rest of the summer. And as it turned out, that dog bite became a metaphor. You were truly ‘bitten’ by the Tetons. You fell in love with the mountain range. You fell in love with the community of friends that developed. We all fell in love with you, Tad.

In your application for the Tetons TS position you wrote about your ideas for improving the trips, how to make the region a great place for leaders, how you wanted to take on more responsibility at Backroads. Of course, I was impressed. Once you had been awarded the TS position, you told me, “Actually, I just wanted to be sure I’d get scheduled there so I could climb peaks on my time off.” And then you let out that deep, heartfelt Tad laugh.

Whether climbing peaks in the Tetons, performing ‘Feats of Strength’ competitions, writing songs with Tony about climbing the Grand, trying to convert everyone to eat Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise, preaching the sins of coffee drinkers, playing practical jokes on co-leaders, explaining the nuances of farming wheat over alfalfa (for the better part of every MYT trip’s 3 hour drive to West Yellowstone!), to designing customized resistance band workouts for anyone who would buy the bands, you always made us laugh, always made us feel good, you always laughed at yourself.

Tad, I was bitten by your gregarious and giving soul that day in the leader house kitchen when you made me laugh over a dog bite. And I’ll never forget all that you have brought me, and so many others, since. Thank you for sharing yourself with us. Thank you for letting us in your life. Thank you for being a friend. I smile and laugh through my tears.

Tad, we all miss you deeply.

Much love – Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment